For most people, redecorating on a regular basis just isn’t in the budget. Luckily, there are easy and affordable ways to spruce up a room and keep your home looking fresh. The following five ways to spruce up a room can brighten the vibe in your house while going easy on the budget:
1. Give your windows some attention. It’s amazing what a difference a thorough washing of your windows can make. Clean the glass both inside and out (use newsprint paper to avoid streaking) or have them professionally cleaned. You’ll be amazed at just how much brighter the room feels. If your curtains and window treatments are faded or out-of-date, pick up some affordable, ready-to-hang new window treatments and/or curtain rods.
2. New lighting accents. Have you had your eye on some new, modern wall sconces, a classy antique lamp or some fun new lampshade designs? Why resist? New lighting accents can have a transformative effect on a room, making it feel lighter and brighter any time of the day or night.
3. Wall decor. Have you had the same photos and wall hangings on your walls for years? It’s time to update! Art prints are affordable online — choose sizes that will fit into off-the-shelf-sized frames and mats. Pick up unique wall decor like personalized canvas prints, plaques and floral accents. Open up a room and make it look bigger by hanging a large framed wall mirror.
4. Make a switch. Consider swapping out a central furniture element or two with another room in your home. Trading the couch in the den for the one in your office can bring fresh energy to both rooms.
5. Attention to detail. Sometimes a few minimal changes can make a big impact. Try changing out your light switch and electrical outlet plates for a more stylish design. Update hardware like door knobs, hinges, drawer knobs and cabinet pulls. Add a new, striking accent piece to the room such as a globe or an elegant Japanese folding screen.
Subtle updates to a room can spruce up the look while staying within your budget. Check out Lillian Vernon for ideas and inspiration to brighten up any room in your home.