So you’ve got present-day Socrates on your hands, eh? Someone who is graduating with a degree in philosophy, no simple subject matter! It’s only natural for you to want to get him or her a philosophy-themed gift. But what would make a good one?
Here’s a look at 10 good gift ideas for philosophy majors:
- Personalized gifts: Add famous philosophical quotes to the likes of mugs, pillows, plaques and more. Some quote ideas:
- “The highest and most beautiful things in life are not to be heard about, nor read about, nor seen but, if one will, are to be lived.”
- “Uttering a word is like striking a note on the keyboard of the imagination.”
- “Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.”
- “The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.”
- love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. Give to everyone who begs from you, and as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.”
- Bumper sticker: A small, but humorous gift would be to gift a famous philosophical quote on a bumper sticker.
- Plato and Aristotle calendar: So your grad has philosophy in their day 24/7/365.
- Philosophy T-shirt: So the grad in your life can wear their philosophy on their sleeve, literally.
- A Magic 8 Ball: A funny gift to answer some of life’s most important questions.
- Philosopher journal: For the philosopher grad in your life to jot down notes, thoughts and feelings when they surface.
- Business card holder: Have the name of your philosophy grad engraved on a business card holder that they can use in their future office of employment. As an added bonus, you could even include a nice writing pen.
- A vacation to Greece: A bit of a stretch, yes. But one really cool gift that you and other family members can go in on together is airfare to send your grad to Greece, one of the birthplaces of philosophy. This will allow the grad to see the roots of philosophy, first-hand.
- Philosophy wall poster: A great fit for any young philosopher’s apartment or office, wall posters with philosophical sayings can make for a great small gift.
- Diploma frame: While not specific to philosophy, a diploma frame can make for a very nice sentimental gift for your grad, as it will give them a formal place to show off their degree and qualifications, wherever it may be.
For more great graduation gift ideas, visit Lillian Vernon.
All Quotes from http://philosophy-quotes.tumblr.com/