Shoes everywhere. Clothes thrown about. Shelving units jammed with various items.
Sound like your closet?
If so, you’re not alone. A messy closet is something that many homes have in common. Yes, there’s that annual rite of passage where you take a stab at cleaning it out and organizing it, but let’s face it – that doesn’t last for long. Why not permanently organize your closet? It’s easier than it might seem. Here’s a look at some tips and ideas:
- Purge your closet: The first step is getting rid of all the clothing and accessories that you don’t want or need anymore. Pack them into bags and donate them to charity. There’s no sense organizing items that are of no use to you. Many people tend to hand onto these useless items for far too long.
- Over the door shoe rack: Are shoes taking up tons of room on your closet floor? Invest in an over the door shoe rack. It saves floor space and effectively organizes your shoes.
- Item racks: Have some empty wall space in your closet? Find a few spare nails in the toolbox and pound them into the wall. This is an easy way to store hanging items, like bags, purses and scarves.
- Vacuum-sealed bags: If you’re short on storage space, consider separating your clothes by season and using vacuum-sealed bags. These bags aren’t only extremely efficient at conserving space, but they also keep dirt, moisture and odors out.
- Towel racks: These can easily be installed on the inside of the closet door or wall of the closet to fold and hang pants.
- Hang closet shelves upside down. This way, the support brackets can act as separators, thereby allowing you to keep various items organized better.
- Keep a donation box on the floor of one end of your closet. This way, as you find items that are damaged, worn or just unwanted, you have a place to put them rather than just throwing them somewhere else in the closet to deal with later.
For more DIY closet organization ideas and products to aid in your project, visit Lillian Vernon today.